Monday, November 21, 2011

raunchy porn and feminism

Salon has a new item up now as part of their ongoing "Am I Normal?" column: a woman writes in to say she considers herself a strong feminist but admits her darkest secret -- she enjoys porn that demeans women.

The columnist responds that she shouldn't beat herself up because nothing is wrong with her. Porn is about fantasies and the forbidden, so it stands to reason she's attracted to raunchier stuff. She writes: "There’s more friction, more heat there for you than for someone who thinks that sexual inequality is no big thing."

Several women write in the comments that they, too, are attracted to raunchy porn. I didn't post a comment but I'm certainly one, too. I find myself drawn to the edgier stuff, and while I don't know if I'm a card-carrying feminist, I certainly think women are equal to men. That doesn't stop me from enjoying the harder hardcore smut.

Certain kinds of submissive porn particularly turns me on, while other raunchy stuff definitely does not. Intense pain, torture, piercing, that sort of thing seems creepy. But a woman roughly gangbanged by four or five muscular men will definitely get my motor purring. Bondage and begging is very hot, too, if rough sex is a part of it.

I guess I draw the line between teasing and torture -- if the woman seems secretly to get off on what's happening to her, then that's perfectly okay. If, after it's all over, she's not bruised or bleeding or in pain, then that's all right. If she's physically damaged in any way or still in pain, then that's too much.

1 comment:

Jack and Jill said...

We've struggled with certain aspects of demeaning porn, mainly because it seems that "demeaning" is a very common aspect of pro porn these days, and certainly of the amateur stuff so common online. Ultimately we don't have a problem with submissive porn and we acknowledge that a scene in which a young girl is seemingly degraded by a group of guys is probably just a scene, and the girl might be getting just as much pleasure out of the scene as the guys are. We just don't want to come away from the scene feeling like the girl is irreparably damaged as a result. To us, that's not hot.