Saturday, January 18, 2014

scary shit

I have never liked horror movies. Perhaps because I saw too many as a child that kept me up too many times, thanks to my overactive imagination.

I can read horror novels with no problem, but the icky factor keeps me away from horror TV and movies. They just make me too edgy and uncomfortable. I can't enjoy them, and who wants to watch something you can't get into?

Yet I have no problem with thrillers that scare the crap out of me. Perhaps because there's no bump-in-the-night factor that creeps me out after the movie is over.

I remember one horror movie in particular that I saw as a rerun on cable when I was about eleven and beginning to become quite sexually aware. In one scene, a young couple started to fuck on a bed at a summer camp. I remember getting into the scene because they were both attractive and nearly naked, rubbing and thrusting against each other.

Then suddenly one of the couple began to choke and we saw why -- an arrow was being driven through the victim's throat from the underside of the bed. The sexy scene was suddenly turned into gore and that turned me off to horror for good.

I saw this list on Imgur of "thirteen most disturbing films" so I had to check it out. Looking at stills from horror movies doesn't bother me. But I have to say some of the ones on this list are not what I would consider "disturbing" -- some are very quirky and quite sexual but not disturbing.

Others, through, look like they'd scare the crap out of me. Cannibal Holocaust is something I would definitely not want to see and the same goes for Repulsion.

1 comment:

obitguy said...

Repulsion isn't a gorefest. Its a dark character study of a young woman losing her sanity. Directed by Roman Polanski a few years before he did Rosemary's Baby. Little bit of trivia, the camp scene you described was Kevin Bacon in the original Friday the 13th!