Sunday, April 2, 2017

the housewife resurgence

Last week the New York Times featured an interesting opinion item that asks the question: do millennial men want stay-at-home wives?

I was really surprised by the answers.

In a nutshell, among people roughly aged 18 to 35, male/female attitudes about husband/wife roles has backslid from a more progressive viewpoint in the 1990s to a more traditional, male-dominant viewpoint today. In short, more people in my demographic want to go back to the days of June and Ward Cleaver.

I am a millennial but my husband is a little too old to be one. I'm a stay-at-home mom out of choice but still do occasional modeling gigs. My husband works sporadically out of choice and spends a lot of time at home.

Thanks to my investments and his pension, neither of us needs to work full-time as long as we live modestly. We'd rather spend more time with each other and the children than try to make as much money as possible.

With that said, we are a marriage of total equality. Important decisions are made together. I completely handle the finances, by mutual consent.

He usually handles the mechanical stuff around the house because he knows more about that. We share domestic household chores, but I do more than he does. All told, our hours balance out.

We both agreed to this arrangement. But the article notes, nearly 40 percent of high school seniors believe "the husband should make all the important decisions in the family."

What?

Where are these people and who's giving them these ideas?

No comments: