Tuesday, November 28, 2017

when harry met meghan

So Henry Windsor, better known as Prince Harry, is engaged to marry American actress Meghan Markle. They both seem like nice people, but in all honesty, what does this really matter?

He is currently fifth and will soon be sixth in line to inherit the British throne. Thus, the chances of him becoming king are extremely slim at best. He is essentially, a figurehead understudy in waiting.

Meghan is successful and famous because of her talent and persistence. He is wealthy and famous simply by accident of birth.

Harry seems like a nice person, but what does he actually do beside grace tourist tchotchkes hawked in London? I've been reading recently about King Charles I, arguably one of Britain's worst monarchs, but at least he caused change. But Harry?

I wonder if he and his cousins are ever bored by their lives. They live a pampered existence, but they have no real reason to get up in the morning, like any of the idle rich.

Hopefully, Meghan will not be pressured to give up her career. She finds fulfillment through work, but abandoning that could leave her as unhappy and unfulfilled as Grace Kelly was widely reported to be.

I wish them well, but at the same time, I'm glad I'm not them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What does Harry do? Apart from the fact that he deployed and served his country in the military as an apache fighter pilot, is a huge supporter and advocate of the Spartacus games to raise money for injured and disabled returned soldiers, does huge amounts of charity work for all manner of different charities... I'd say he has done more in his short life than most civilians do in their entire life. What has Megan Markle done? Looked pretty and played a character on a tv show.