Thursday, August 11, 2016

abandoned porn

I've written here before about how I love abandoned buildings. There's something so wonderfully frightening yet inviting about them -- they're at once romantic and dream-like. So I'm always drawn to photos of long-empty places and spaces.

I was thus pleased to stumble on Abandoned Porn, where people collect and publish photos of abandoned locations throughout the world. The site includes not just unused old buildings, but forgotten planes, vehicles, and ships.

Some of the unused rooms in the house where we live almost look like they could be in an abandoned building. We're long-term/permanent caretakers and the place is much larger than we need.

The owner only used a few downstairs rooms when she still lived here, and we only occupy about half of the first floor. She and her husband built it around 1950 as a rooming house, and a whole bunch of unused bedrooms upstairs are filled with all sorts of clutter she collected.

While I don't believe in ghosts, because it's an older house, the upstairs creaks and groans as the wood ages and shifts with the weather. Sometimes because the wood floors expand or contract in sequence, it almost sounds like someone is walking slowly down the hall upstairs.

No comments: